With Mother’s Day being around the corner, many people are scrambling to find the perfect gift for their mother. We’ve all done the flowers and candy bit before. However, many women don’t like flowers and candy. It’s time to look outside of the cliche and give her a gift that she will really appreciate because she will know that it was done with her in mind.
- A basket of her favorite goodies: If you truly know your mama, then you should know a few of her favorite items that she consistently has around. Whether it’s perfumes, beauty products, music, sports paraphernalia, or whatever; gather her favorites and gift them to her in a cute creative way.
- Picture gifts: With the emergence of social media and camera phones, one would think the value of pictures has gone down. However, being that we don’t print them as often, creating a gift with actual pictures that can be touched is very personal and meaningful. Get on Shutterfly and create an unique photo project for your mother.
- Pay a bill: Take care of one (or two if you got it like that) of your mother’s monthly burdens. Maybe it’s her phone or her car insurance but either way, that’s one less thing she has to worry about at least for this month.
- Get handy: Speaking of getting rid of burdens, if your mother is anything like mine, she has a wish list of home projects that she wants to get to when she has the time. Well, what’s a better time to help her complete one of those projects than on Mother’s Day? Roll up those sleeves, purchase the materials, and build that shelf she’s been asking for over a year.
- Feed her: We all know that moms make sure that everyone is taken care of and fed. So make sure that she has eaten. Again, let’s shake it up so that we’re not doing the usual restaurant on Mother’s Day. We know that it’s going to be a crowded mess anyway. Get the recipe for her favorite dish (I’m sure y’all have a Pinterest account) and make that for her. Go a step above just cooking for her and really get into the presentation. Set out nice plates, put everything in beautiful serving dishes and use a table cloth. The extra effort will show the amount of thought you put into it.
If all else fails, ask her what is the one thing that she’s really been wanting but has not been able or willing to get for herself. All moms have at least a few objects on their wishlist that they feel they can’t get right at that moment. Whatever you do, make sure that you show her just how much you love and appreciate all that she does for you. Make her feel special because she deserves it.