It’s February 2016 and within the span of not even 2 weeks, Black History Month suddenly became one of the most epic BHM’s EVER and black social media had no problem celebrating all of this blackness. From Beyoncé’s modern day Black Panther slayage in the form of a Super Bowl performance to Kendrick Lamar’s artistic and musically creative way of saying, “White people, you gon learn today!” as he demanded the stage at this year’s GRAMMY’s, I believe that it’s safe to say that black people are definitely winning right now! To add to the BHM score, ABC Entertainment Group recently announced their new President, Channing Dungey, a black woman and check this…THEE FIRST black woman to lead a major TV network!
To some this may not be a big deal.
But seeing how many L’s the black community has been taking over the last few plus years, I am honestly excited and this is wonderfully DOPE! From police brutality and killings, Beyoncé performance critiquing, Bill Cosby accusations and character assassinations, Tomi Lahren misunderstanding and hating, “Aunt Viv” vs. Jada Pinkett Smith, the Republicans still making President Obama’s job (and existence in life) impossible, Kanye West’s media meltdown and alleged debt, Spike Lee’s horrible movie “Chi-Raq” and much more…anything remotely relative to being black has been losing, but who’s counting?
So yes, Channing Dungey has officially won and she deserves her kudos! Let’s take a quick glance at who she is as we get familiar with the new President of ABC, during a time when the lack of diversity in Hollywood has become a more publicly expressed concern:
- Prior to her new position, Dungey was ABC’s Drama Chief since 2009 but an ABC Studios vet since 2004
- She is a 46 year old Sacramento native and 1991 UCLA graduate.
- Dungey is close friends with our favorite aunt, oh yea and famous TV show creator, Shonda Rhimes.
- She has had her creative hand and has backed many popular shows such as Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Criminal Minds and more!
- She is married to Scott Power and has a young daughter named Eden, who is adopted.
- She’s a fellow Pisces, born March 14, 1969!
- Outside of work, Dungey enjoys being a mother, pilates, yoga, running and hiking, as well as avidly watching the TV show, The X Files.
It is only right to end this spotlight with some of Beyoncé’s Formation lyrics because Channing Dungey SLAYS:
“I dream it, I work hard, I grind til’ I own it…Okay ladies now let’s get in formation. You know you that b*tch when you cause all this conversation. Always stay gracious, best revenge is your paper.”